Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tsk Tsk Tsk

1. Don' t you just love the Americans. Humility has never been their strongest point. Their tactlessness and conceit in dealing with the rest of the world is well documented and their disdain for the achievements of others is barely concealed.

As I write, they have 28 golds to China's 46, but they seem to have difficulty in acknowledging that fact. Being second to China in medal ranking must be so galling that they choose to disregard the time-honoured listing by medal colours and opt for overall medal tally instead.

Thus you see splashed all over the Net that USA heads the medal count with 93, followed by China with 83. Sure feels grand to be in the lead, eh?

2. Let's kick some Russian butts, so said American pole vaulter and World/European champion Jennifer Stuczynski mockingly, in an undisguised reference to arch rival Yelena Isinbayeva (see pix), the lanky and beautiful Russian pole vault queen defending her Olympic title.

In the end, not only Isinbayeva's butts remain "unkickable", she also broke the Olympic record while the American derriere got relegated to second place. Whatever the case, there were many nice-looking rear-ends on parade at the Stadium.

3. Bad, bad baton-passing folks. Both the USA men and women's 4 x 100 relay teams got disqualified in the heats for dropping their batons, in such poor baton-passing that made my sekolah menengah sports day relay look a shade off Asian Games. Quite a feat, that.

Wonder to whom are they apportioning the blame. The wet track? the shape of the Bird's Nest Stadium? Foreign-made baton? Can't be their own ineptness for sure..


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum. I just found your blog and I found your writing to be so refreshing. A good balance of everything and most importantly I think you are so honestly perceptive compared to other blogs. If I were to write a blog (if and when I find the time!) I hope I can write as well as you do.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

W'salam and thank you for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Salam,
I got here from kak Teh - I love your writing and totally agree with anonymous. I too wished I could write as well. I also like the story you told, and finding myself spending the last 30 minutes going over your old post!

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Salaam Farizahb.. Alhamdulillah, this old lady is happy enough to have made someone's day....

Kak Teh said...

puteri, need i say more?

Kama At-Tarawis said...

hehehe, ishh kak teh..jangan puji banyak2.. kembang pungkok..