Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Rainbow Homecoming

end of the rainbow

graceful arch across the sky

where the dead lay buried

Merdeka! from my balcony

My two journalist kids, Naj and Ann, are finally back on home turf from erstwhile 'battlefield' Permatang Pauh; worn and weary, a wee bit tanned and a tad lighter in weight and workload, but otherwise unscathed. Alhamdulillah.

Fourteen days of hitting the campaign trail, venturing into every nook and cranny of small-town PP in search of anecdotes and stories worthy of print had given the duo a glimpse of rural life they had never before encountered. A good exposure, I must say.

There was a light drizzle in the evening, and when the mist lifted a rainbow emerged, its end dipping behind the Naza Motor showroom off the highway next to Puteri Restaurant in Taman Tun Dr Ismail.

I had never seen a rainbow up close before. So mesmerised was I at the wondrous sight that I stood still on the balcony for a good few minutes before realising I should capture the sight on camera. Truly a fitting conclusion to a long-awaited day.

3 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Alhamdulillah they are back. I used to do that as well but tailing politicians put me off politics forever.
My backpacker is now in Jodhpur, before going to Jaipur. I google all the places she mentions and I feel as if I am there with her.

Er,, by the way, is there a prize for being the first commenter everytime?

Selamat berpuasa to you and yours from me and mine.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Kak Teh, I envy your daughter for 2 reasons - the fact that she is backpacking in some foreign land, and that she is in India, a country I have always wanted to visit tapi belum ada peluang lagi.

Hadiah? Of course there is! you come back and I'll cook my special nasi minyak and ayam kuzi just for you... hehehe

Kak Teh said...

puteri, you wake up early, i go to sleep late. its 2351 here.
I too envy my daughter, not so much because she is backpacking but because, yes she is in India and also because of all those train rides. I love trains and I love writing abt train journeys.

Okaylahhh, I better go to sleep. I will bear in mind your nasi minyak and ayam kuzi.