Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Coping With Death

I have been under the weather for five days now. What started as a slight nasal congestion has turned into a full-blown flu, with hacking coughs thrown in for good measure.

Suffice to say I have been feeling quite miserable for just as long. Going by past experience, it will be another week before I fully recover and find my voice again.

Karaoke is, of course, out of the question in the present condition. Come to think of it, Pak Abu and I have not been keriauking since my mother's death on May 31.

I can hazard a guess that our regular kakis at the karaoke lounges of both KLGCC and Lake Club were a wee bit mystified by our conspicuous absence.

This is because Pak Abu and I were part of the furniture in both places. It matters not, really. Simply put, the urge to sing is just not there at the moment, not since Mak's passing.

A couple of days ago I received a telephone call from my sister Zaridah, the one who lives in Kuala Terengganu, who had been looking after Mak until she passed away.

Calling from her son's pad in KL, Idah sounded distraught. Struggling to fight back tears, she told me that she had not been able to cope with Mak's death as well as we did.

Haunted by the images of Mak in life and in death, I fear Idah is on the verge of an emotional breakdown. It doesn't help that her only daughter Amy lives far away, in Chicago, with husband Sabran (Gary).

Ever the emotionally-charged one, Idah has my sympathy. We all grieve in our own private ways. Our brother Yusof, bless his soul, went over from his home in Taman Melawati to advise and comfort her.

Keep praying, that's all I say. Recite your Al-Fatihah, Ayat Kursi, Surah Yassin. That will calm you down. Allah subhanahuwata'ala knows best. It's in Him that you should trust.

No comments: