Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Want...




I want to sit on Dungun beach as dawn breaks, and watch as the first rays emerge from the distant horizon.


I want to listen to the gentle lapping of the morning waves as they wash ashore, bearing seaweeds and shells and broken bits of driftwood.


I want to feel the sand, gritty and sticky and wet yet so achingly familiar, under my bare feet as I pace the water's edge.


I want to breathe in the pure, refreshing air of the South China Sea, that hangs over Dungun like a misty blanket.


I want the fisherfolk to hear my heartfelt prayers, as they push their boats out with the first morning light.


I want the turtles to heed my laments, urging them to return to this shore they had abandoned years before.


I want to sweep the dead leaves off my mother's grave, and plant a kemboja tree with its pristine white flowers, in her memory.


I miss Mum, and I miss home...

10 comments:

Bergen said...

Pack a bag of simple clothes. Go watch the waves with Pak Abu. Kat Dungun ada 18 hole golf course. Kalau nak dekat dengan golf course duduk kat hotel UiTM. Petang2 boleh gi Seberang Pitasan via the new bridge.

Go, Puteri. From you entry, I rasa you ni dah parah rindu kat Dungun.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

I must be geeting old, Bergen. nowadays when I think of Dungun, the eyes get misty so fast. Insyaallah, Syawal I might just go back for a short while, to ziarah kubur mak, bapak and opah.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Puteri... you scribbles are music to my heart. My aching, lonely heart.

Once, I woke up at Tanjong Jara, a huge smile cracked on my face. The husband asked, "what is it about Trengganu and its beaches?"

To which I replied, "how long do you have, my dear?"

You know Kak, after I am done raising the children, I will hand over the partnership of the firm, close my home and retire: right there at Tanjong Jara.

The sad thing is that, I still have a good 20 or years to go...

I want to go 'home' too.

Kak Teh said...

Dungun - how can I forget Dungun - the place where I was bestowed the title Mek Jarroh. also I remember the walk along the beach during the night - we were there as students from ITM. It was cold, but pleasantly so.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Elviza, Kak Teh - there is something about Dungun that tugs at the heartstrings so. Maybe it's the provinciality of the place.. and of course the beaches and the sea. it's the sea that gets to me..

Anonymous said...

A touching piece, ma'am.

Now I have to investigate this place called Dungun with a little more depth.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Mat B, be warned... you may never come home again :)

talqin said...

"Now I have to investigate this place called Dungun with a little more depth.".... hmmmm if u need someone to accompany, then i'm in..


"Mat B, be warned... you may never come home again :)".... errr ma, u got any rumah sewa to give out tak overthere?.... if for free, i likeee. :)

All I WANT to say... I miss u heaps ma..

Kama At-Tarawis said...

talqin - where did you disappear to? been long time since you surfaced. Well, my mom's house is still there..

talqin said...

I'm not going anywhere far ma dear.. Practically still in KL even selalu teringin nak jadi orang KK.. Still tak berani nak pi mengadap Ketua Rombongan. Tak tau apa yang di sereyaukan.. By the way, still remember my sis? She delivered to a cute baby girl on august 15th 2008, few days before pa Ash's birhtday..Happy Belated Birthday Pa..