Monday, May 5, 2008

Song Sung Blue

I am not a TV fan, preferring instead to read. Having said that, there is however one programme that has managed to lure me away from my books each time it is aired.

Yes, we are talking "American Idol", that reality show giving singing hopefuls a shot at stardom and pots of money that goes with it. Maybe because I too enjoy singing, although I know my voice is definitely not good enough to make a career out of it.

I missed out on the first two seasons, though, and I can't even remember why I wasn't paying attention. But from season three onwards, I was right there on the front row gawking and making the usual comments that all armchair critics do.

I like Simon and his caustic tongue; he's spot on, as always. Paula? She seems zonked out half the time and she comments to please. Randy "The Dawg" is the one providing a balance between the two judges and he's neat.

We have seen a procession of 'Idols' - some good (read Carrie Underwood, Fantasia Barino), some not so good ("Soul Patrol" Taylor Hicks is a real hick from the boondocks, sorry). We have also seen astounding achievements by those who made it without even winning the title; Clay Aitken, Chris Daughtry, Kelly Pickler, to name but a few.

The current season is coming to a close and I think it will be a battle between the two Davids (Archuleta and Cook) in the final. My money is on cutiepie Archuleta to grab the crown although versatile Cook is more deserving of the two. Archuleta is a package deal (wholesome good looks, great voice, the kind that tugs at 'auntie's heartstring) while Cook's rough rocker edge is in a class of his own.

How I wish Akademi Fantasia has that "something" extra to offer. It is blander than tap water....

No comments: