Friday, November 14, 2008

Cakap Tak Serupa Bikin

Once upon a time I was a pressman. So was my friend Zaharah Othman, also known as blogger Kak Teh, who now teaches in London. Blogger Fauziah whose Latte@Chinoz greets me daily, is still very much in the thick of things. Blogger Nuraina has left news reporting but is still in publishing.

God knows there are so many of us from the media currently blogging; Akhirudin Atan (Rocky's Bru), Aziz Hassan (Mana Mana), Datuk Kadir Jasin (The Scribe), Datuk Ahmad Talib (Pahit Manis), Ashraf Abdullah (Jejak Pujangga), to name but a few.

I had just checked out Rocky's site where the level of media-bashing seems to be reaching new heights that I have lost, for now, my zest for writing. I think this new barrage comes about because Rocky had the audacity to defend the Press.

All those talk about championing Press freedom by the Pakatan Government is just a load of crap. "Cakap tak serupa bikin". Why victimise a lowly reporter or a photographer? These people are just doing their job. Which part of "cari makan' don't you understand?

Reporters and pixmen don't make rules. They don't decide on policies. Most times, they don't even determine their own assignments. They go to office, get assigned to whatever it is that they are supposed to do that day, and get going. Then they return to office, get their stories or photos done, and go home.

If you are angry with any publication, just boycott it. Just hit it where it hurts the most - the bottom line. Don't vent your anger and frustration on the helpless and hapless journalists. Or is it Orde Baru to be crass, crude and arrogant? I thought that's Orde Lama, the one they are desperately trying to replace.

To the writer who commented that the pixman deserved the treatment because he was from Utusan, I say "Shame on you." I am not defending Utusan. Far from it. I am defending one of my own.

It doesn't really matter which side of the political divide we are on, as long as we can disagree sensibly. Use that something between the ears. If I am not mistaken, it's called BRAIN. You want to lead? Then show some class, Pakatan. Please.



11 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Errr, am still a press(wo)man, altjough right now am still in my kain pelikat, yes, kain pelikat.


(...a few minutes later after a visit to Rocky's.....)

Oh dear! Has it come to that?
Agree to disagree? I have yet to see this.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Err, a thousand apologies Kak Teh. I forgot you are still 'press'-ing away..hehehe

Anonymous said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Susah betul jadi wartawan, kata Pak Malim sambil meminum teh secawan. Ataupun, jurugambar, kata Pak Malim sambil duduk dalam gebar. Sebab tu saya tak pi sekolah, dan asyik suka berkelah. Kerja pun, saya tak pi, kata Pak Malim sambil naik kereta api.

Kak Teh said...

aaah, puteri, things are not like what it was before, says kak teh wiping her eyes with her pinafore.

hmmm, but like you said, cari makan.
setuju tak, Pak Malim? You've een mising a long time, merayap ke mana agaknya Pak Malim kita ni.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

wahai pak malim kucig ray yg alim
dah juga kak teh yg pakai kain pelikat (btw, kain pelikat sedap pakai, bidang bukanya besar)

kama tak suka marah-marah
sebab marah ni ruin my day
lagipun bila marah muka merah
dah hatipun kadang2 rasa sedeyyyy!

Pi Bani said...

Biasalah tu Kak Puteri... many people bagai nak rak suruh orang lain open minded sikit, but diri sendiri not open minded enough to accept differing views. As for commenters (especially when the topic is politics), I notice ramai yang jenis cakap dia ajelah betul, orang lain with differing views sama ada bodoh or kaki ampu or ada personal agenda. That's why I usually stay away from political comments - sakit jiwa dibuatnya.

Nasib baik I bukan press(wo)man. Cuma I have to deal a lot with de-PRESS-ed women...

Anonymous said...

...like they want to mati mati abolish the ISA. But when they are in (high hopes), they will really serve dog food. The Kok will see to that.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Pi & Anon - that's whY I too stay away from political commentary. Let them say I am an airhead for delving on 'ligh' topics, at least such postings make people happy, not depressed.

Kamarulzaman said...

Perkara SEBENAR kini terbukti. I was once pernah bergaduh dengan un2 pasal your gander. I told him you was a man once. Pastu you gi operate and be a woman. Dia marah kat i dan kita berdua telah tidak bertegur sapa buat seketika. Pastu things are ok, maybe he believes me. Wateber!! [(Once upon a time I was a pressman.)]..... Terbukti kini!!! Akak was a MAN..!!!!!

Mutiara said...

Puteri
At my age and with the world as it is now, I light-light jer, tak payah guna batu jemala nak fikir masalah dunia.

Anonymous said...

Kak...

semua jenis kerja ada kemelut cam gini..

ada yang main politik.
dan selalu politik ni tak bersih.

dan kalau kita dok perati..hari ni ludah..sok depa jilat..

maleh lah..

psst..kadang kadang bila kita marah..panas sikit muka kita yang dah lama sejuk noo...

tak pa lah kak..tikam tak kena..
layan pulak hati kita lah yang merana..