Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Never Say Never - An Interlude

YOU know what they say about saying 'never'. While all's fair in love, never ever say 'never', for it tempts Fate. Stick to a non-committal 'maybe' or 'perhaps' or even "que sera sera".

If you want to add an element of drama to it, you can always mutter under your breath, with the appropriate facial expression, of course: "I don't know if I can ever love again".

Not only it sounds dramatic enough, it may also spare you the embarrassment should a knight in shining armour arrive sooner than expected and sweep you off your feet.

At least you can blame Fate. "Dah takdir" (it's fated) or "Dah jodoh" (we're meant for each other), or "Bukan aku cari!" (I didn't go looking for him!"), also with the appropriate facial expression, of course. A hang-dog look wouldn't go amiss here.

I've had girlfriends who, in the aftermath of a broken love affair, tearfully proclaimed to all and sundry that they would never ever trust another man for as long as they live, only to see them hanging on the arms of a new beau before the tears run dry.

What's the deal here? I asked. "So that I can dump him before he dumps me like the last one did," said one. "Oh, it's just lust!" proclaimed another. Whoa!

And then there are those who lament: "I'll never fall in love again. All men are good-for-nothing SOBs. Beasts!" I'm afraid this is where Fate is tempted the most.

More often than not, Fate would wickedly manoeuvre these hapless women into falling in love, again and again, with nothing but beastly SOBs.

Don't say you have not been warned...




2 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

Kama,
We call it 'taubat cili padi'. Hey why worry since some people can't live without being loved though it is really lust?

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Wah, first time I heard of taubat cili padi.. hehehe. Betul tu Pak, most time it's just lust lurking around, bukan love. sebab tu ambik ringan benda2 macam relationships and all..